2021 Submissions Now Open!
We are excited to announce the inaugural Teaching Innovation Award by the AIB Shared Interest Group on Teaching & Education. The award celebrates excellent educators in the AIB community, recognizes innovative teaching approaches, and provides an opportunity to engage AIB membership in discussions of teaching excellence.
About the Award
Held annually, the Teaching Innovation Award celebrates the important role academics play as inspiring educators in the area of international business. The award’s theme is Teaching Innovation. Inspire us with your innovative teaching tools, course designs, teaching methods or practices that positively impact students. All academics who play a role as educators may compete for the award, as long as they are members of the AIB.
The application process includes two steps. First, applicants (individuals or teams) are invited to submit a two-page letter of intent. The letter of intent is due April 15, 2021 at midnight CST. Letters of intent and all other enquiries will be received through T&E SIG’s email: email@example.com. By May 1st, 2021 five (5) applicants or teams will be selected to submit a complete portfolio (up to 3,000 words). Based on competitive review of finalist portfolios, one recipient or a team will be selected and provided an opportunity to present their teaching innovation at the AIB Annual Meeting. Along with the recognition, the winner(s) will receive a $500 check and a certificate.
The judging process is designed to be rigorous, transparent, and independent. The following steps will be followed.
- All letters of intent will be first reviewed and scored by the Award Selection Committee.
- Based on these scores, full portfolios of 5 shortlisted entries will be considered by the Award Selection Committee for final evaluation.
- The full portfolio with the highest scores from the Committee will be declared the winner of the award.
Those involved in the judging of the awards with a connection to a candidate will be excluded from discussions on the submission.
- April 15th
Letters of Intent due
- May 1st
Shortlisted candidates invited to submit the complete portfolio
- May 30th
Complete portfolio deadline
- June 15th
Award winner notified
- June 29th- July 2nd
Award ceremony during the Annual Conference
Letter of Intent
Letters of intent should outline the innovation and be no longer than 2 pages. Letters of intent must include answers to the following questions:
- Explaining your innovation in a few words. This could be a tool, software, learning materials, practices, course design concepts or any other innovative educational initiative.
- How is this project innovative? How does this project build on current teaching literature and practice?
- What was the scale or scope of the innovation? (e.g. Who was involved? What kind of change did the innovation entail?)
- What positive impact on learning outcomes have you made with this teaching innovation?
- How could this innovation be used in a different context?
- How does your innovation fit into (or advance) extant knowledge on pedagogy in the field of International Business?
The portfolio must be no longer than 3000 words.
1. Cover letter (one-page maximum): Indicate the primary author to whom subsequent correspondence should be sent
2. Description of the innovation
- Clearly describe the rationale/goals of the innovation
- Describe specific learning objectives/desired outcomes of the innovation
- Describe the impact of the innovation (e.g., on learners, colleagues, literature, practice, or education more generally)
- Include a description of the course/unit content
- Indicate the appropriate learner audience/level of learner for which the innovation is intended
- Describe what the learners do
- Describe what the instructor(s) do
- Describe resources used to support the project
3. Teaching Materials
Attach materials that allow others to use the innovation (teaching notes, assessment rubrics, handouts for students, course syllabus, etc.)
Letters of intent and all other inquiries will be received through T&E SIG’s email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in the subject line of your email “AIB Teaching Innovation Award”.