by Aušrinė Šilenskytė, University of Vaasa, & Marleen Dieleman, NUS Business School, National University of Singapore
In AIB 2022, we discuss various ways in which we can foster Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) in International Business (IB) education. We have gathered some resources, that would help IB educators and higher education institutions in their way towards DEI.
Teaching practices that help to ensure fairness in student assessment and inclusion of diverse topics/theories in IB courses:
- A collection of insights ‘Inspiring minds’, HBS
- Inclusive teaching and learning assessment practices
- Tavoletti, E., Stephens, R. D., Taras, V., & Dong, L. (2022). Nationality biases in peer evaluations: The country-of-origin effect in global virtual teams. International Business Review, 101969.
- Video lecture by Prof. Rebecca Mitchell – University of Newcastle, Australia “Diversity and inclusion in organizations” from HSTalk.
Pedagogical tools that support utilization of student diversity and when handling diversity of perspectives and views in the classroom:
Diverse materials and examples that IB educators could use beyond the Western-focused textbooks and cases:
- DEI through case studies
- AIB T&E SIG’s Mini-cases for teaching IB
- AIB T&E SIG’s Video capsules
- HBS Creating Emerging Markets video cases
- MNC Whisper video cases
The ways to develop own skills and support colleagues educators in eliminating potential biases and growing open-mindedness:
- Next generation research when women thrive
- How to use the language in an appropriate for DEI way?
- Harvard implicit bias test
- SELF-STUDY WORKBOOK – coping with biases
What business schools can do to incorporate diversity and inclusion in their own faculty and leadership:
- EFMD Gender Gap Report
- Gender Equality in Academia and Research – GEAR tool
- Equity VS equality
- O’Donovan, D. (2018). Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace. In Organizational Behaviour and Human Resource Management (pp. 73-108).
- Shen, J., Chanda, A., D’netto, B., & Monga, M. (2009). Managing diversity through human resource management: An international perspective and conceptual framework. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 20(2), 235-251.
- Madden & Loh (2018) Workplace cyberbullying and bystander helping behaviour. The International Journal of Human Resource Management
Other valuable readings on the topic:
- Zhang, R., Wang, M. S., Toubiana, M., & Greenwood, R. (2021). Stigma Beyond Levels: Advancing Research on Stigmatization. Academy of Management Annals, 15(1), 188-222.
- Nishii, L. H., & Özbilgin, M. F. (2007). Global diversity management: towards a conceptual framework. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 18(11), 1883-1894.
- Riccò, R., & Guerci, M. (2014). Diversity challenge: An integrated process to bridge the ‘implementation gap’. Business Horizons, 57(2), 235-245.
- Friday, E., & Friday, S. S. (2003). Managing diversity using a strategic planned change approach. Journal of Management Development, 22(10), 863-880.